Some of the important measures needed for sanitation in rural and urban area of India are as follows:
1. People should be made conscious about the hazards of poor sanitation through publicity and sanitation education.
2. The appropriate authorities like municipal authority’s town planners. Government etc. should pay more attention towards sanitation.
3. Attention should be focused at sanitation by expertise to develop cheaper, native and acceptable sanitation technology looking at the socio-economic standard of our people.
4. Waste stabilisation ponds should be created as a low cost and low maintenance means of sewage treatment well situated to small towns and villages of warm climates.
5. The poorer communities should adopt incremental sanitation systems where improvements are introduced gradually and the users themselves handle much of the upgrading and maintenance.
6. Steps should be taken to eradicate malaria by killing mosquito.
7. Open defecation should be avoided along road sides, boundary of ponds, river side’s etc. by constructing a ventilated improved pit latrin (VIP latrin)
8. Bleaching powder or chlorine tablets should be added regularly to the village wells.
9. Drinking water should always be taken from a tube well.
10. Village ponds should not be used for the bathing of village animals.